Monday, June 22, 2009

Subaru Cup Race Report


I had an awesome Father's Day weekend!

Michelle and I brought all the kids to Mt. Morris, Wisconsin for the 2009 Subaru Cup. The two-day stage race consists of an XC race, Super D (downhill type race) and short track (mountain bike criterium). The XC race was 4 laps on an all singletrack 4 mile loop. WORS was projecting a winning time of 1:40, but the stifling heat caused us to ride a little faster so we could get out of the heat sooner. I came in 3rd place (1st in age group) at 1:29, about 2:30 behind the winner.

We headed directly to Dairy Queen for air conditioning and ice cream. We spent the rest of the evening in the swimming pool. The kids all had a blast violating every single rule posted on the wall.



We had a lovely breakfast Sunday morning and I received all the Father's Day hugs I could have asked for. While the family stayed back at the hotel swimming and packing up the van (and preparing an adorable Father's Day card), I cruised to an easy victory in the Super D. We had to wait an ungodly amount of time for the short track race to start. Fortunately, we were able to stake out a spot under a tent where we could comfortably watch the Elite Men, Elite Women and the Junior X racers participate in their short track events. The downside to this spectation was that we got to see just how much this race was going to hurt. I was fatigued from the heat and the previous day's race and knew I had a long ride home. It would have taken very little convincing to get me to skip the race and get in the car. Instead, Michelle and the kids encouraged me to lay down and get a massage from the whole family to help me relax and loosen up. By the time they were done with me, I was ready to go.



As it turned out, I had the legs to win the short track race. I got the holeshot and stayed on the front for the entire race, which was only about 13 minutes long. Two guys hung with me for a while, but they both dropped off eventually. The kids ran back and forth between two points on the course and cheered me on twice per lap. It was so motivating and gratifying to hear them yelling my name. There was no way I was going to let them down.

The Subaru Cup is a great event and a ton of fun. Unfortunately, a lot of the guys who race the XC race don't stick around for day two, so the competition gets a little thinned down.

Special thanks to Michelle, Lex, Lily, Breck and Ellarie for making it such a fantastical weekend. I can't wait til out next road trip.




























1 comment:

  1. Great post Jesse...these wors races are nice family type events aside from the best racing around.

    ReplyDelete