Monday, May 4, 2009

Circuit of Sauk

I pulled in to the race venue 20 minutes before the start of the Cat 4/5 race. Got changed into bike clothes while standing in registration line, and went directly to the race start. The field was big; I think 55 finished the race. Hit the first hill and it was much bigger than I expected. Ended up in about a 15 man selection. 3/4 of of the way through the first of 2 laps I remembered I forgot to hit the inhaler when I was suddenly unable to breathe. Dropped off the lead group to recover respiration. Hooked up with another dude who paced us back to the lead group as the second lap began. The effort hurt and I was dropped again. Hooked up with two other riders (including THIS dude from the Cuttin' Crew) and we worked well together trying to catch the lead group. We eventually picked up a fourth guy (who did absolutely no work) and realized we wouldn't catch the leaders. The four of us rolled in together. 14th place.

Flash forward 15 minutes to the start of the Masters 4/5 race. My legs were still screaming as we rolled out. I knew immediately that I would be lucky to just finish the race. The field split and I was in the second group of about 10 riders. I just hung in the pack trying to rest and recover for the entire first lap. I rode the whole group off my wheel on the second lap though. I started bridging and ended up in a group of three and then six, then four. I was riding with three guys from a bike shop team and in great position when I dropped my chain on a climb. I couldn't shift it back on and had to get off the bike. I gave 100% to catch the three guys I had been riding with, and didn't make it. Quickly got sucked up by the pack and then spit out. Rode the last 5 miles alone in a brutal head and crosswind. Rolled in 22nd with nothing left in the legs.

The course was much hillier than I expected...my GPS says there were 12% grades and about 900 feet of climbing per lap. The winds were ridiculous. You were either climbing or getting blown off the road the whole race. I'm not happy with my results, but it was a great workout and a good learning experience.

Lessons learned:

1) don't jump into a race you hadn't planned to do with no warmup, course preview or pre-race routine
2) use inhaler
3) don't shift like an idiot


On Sunday I did a leisurely 50 miles in the Green Bay area. The roads were beautiful and the flat terrain was perfect for a recovery ride. I feel great today and am looking forward to a recovery week this week. Only 8 weeks until the SBF!

1 comment: