Monday, June 8, 2009

WORS #3--Trek Big Ring Classic Race Report

I sent out a e-mail inviting all my bike racing friends to join me for a daytrip to Wausau for WORS #3--the Trek Big Ring Classic. Maybe it was the reply-to-all that DG sent saying, "I would insist he has a Foley catheter placed prior to the trip, unless you want to read urinal graffiti all the way", but nobody took me up on the offer of a free ride. As remarkable as this may sound to Dave, I only stopped one time to answer nature's call.

Anyway, Jesse Bell's biggest fan was excited to fill the passenger seat and play the role of bottle girl. Thanks mom!

Despite the heavy downpours Saturday night, the course was in great shape with very little mud. I got out to an early solo lead and started picking my way around slower racers from earlier start groups. By the end of the first of 3 laps I felt I had the thing pretty well wrapped up. Riding alone is tricky...nobody to pace you, nobody to push you. Its easy to lose focus and motivation and find yourself slowing down. The trail had some very technical rock sections where your tire ends up squeezing between two adjacent rocks. I always worry about slashing a sidewall and actually burped air out of both tires on the second lap. At one point I stopped to check pressure thinking I had a leak, but hopped back in the saddle when I determined it was ok.

Near the midpoint of the last 8.4 mile lap Greg Cullen FLEW by me. He started 2 minutes back in the 35+ group. I was mightily impressed and didn't even consider trying to grab his wheel--probably a mistake in hindsight. Shortly thereafter I was caught by Scott Golomski, a 19-24 year old that started with me. He attacked as he caught me and got a little separation. I just didn't have the legs to stay with him and he ended up :08 ahead of me.

I finished 3rd overall and 1st in my 30-34 age group. #2 was 6:17 back. MIA were Joe Riesberg and Tom Carpenter, two guys who would have make things a lot more interesting. Next up is the WORS Subaru Cup in 2 weeks. That's a tough course with plenty of climbing. Can't wait!


COMP Results

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jesse. I met you and Joe at the Firecracker in Eau Claire last year. thought i would stop by and say hello and maybe start some trash talk for the border battle :) thanks for posting and good luck on your season.

    ReplyDelete